Cats and Dogs - Home
Cats, dogs and the lawThe Companion Animals Act 1998 and the Companion Animals Regulation 2008 provide for the identification and registration of cats and dogs, how they are managed and the duties and responsibilities of their owners in NSW.
Cats, dogs and local councilsLocal councils administer and enforce this legislation, as well as update registration information on the NSW Companion Animals Register. Contact your local council if you have any questions about cats, dogs and the law, or to update your cat or dog's contact details on the Register.
Contacting your local councilIf you don't know your local council, click here. If you know your local council, but don't know its contact details, click here.
- Microchipping and registering your cat or dog
- Updating your cat or dog's details on the NSW Companion Animals Register
- Responsible pet ownership
- Lost and found cats and dogs
- Dog attacks
- Nuisance cats and dogs - including barking dogs
- Declared dangerous dogs
- Restricted dogs
- Assistance animals
- Working dogs
- Information for Vets, Authorised Identifiers and Approved Persons
- Information for animal rescue organisations
- Information for pet shops
- Information for breeders
- Information for local councils
New South Wales Division of Local Government, Department of Premier and Cabinet
5 O'Keefe Ave, Nowra, NSW, Australia
Locked Bag 3015, Nowra, NSW 2541 Australia
Tel: 61-2-4428 4100
Fax: 61-2-4428 4199